Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Morning Reading: Amy Tan

In the January issue of Sunset magazine, Amy Tan talks about what she learned from Oakley Hall. Here is an excerpt:

5 Things I Learned from Oakley Hall:

1. To know my craft and to learn what others before me have done. I don’t understand people who haven’t read the classics, or those who say they only want to write, not read. If you are serious about your craft, you have to read.

2. To be kind to other writers. Sometimes that means you have to criticize their work, but you don’t have to eviscerate them!

3. To be grateful and humble: That was Oakley. He was nominated for a Pulitzer (for Warlock), and his book, The Downhill Racers, was made into a movie, starring Robert Redford. But he was always humble. He also had this wonderful style of entertaining people around a big buffet, where everyone is relaxed. I want to be just like Oakley in this way.



To read it in its entirety, click here.

No comments:

 
Site Meter