Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Morning Reading: "Begin again the story of your life"


Da Capo
by Jane Hirshfield


Take the used-up heart like a pebble
and throw it far out.

Soon there is nothing left.
Soon the last ripple exhausts itself
in the weeds.

Returning home, slice carrots, onions, celery.
Glaze them in oil before adding
the lentils, water, and herbs.

Then the roasted chestnuts, a little pepper, the salt.
Finish with goat cheese and parsley. Eat.

You may do this, I tell you, it is permitted.
Begin again the story of your life.

*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this poem.

the other L

Rebel Girl said...

Thank you, L, for reading along.

I am going to try and cook this tonight and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Yum. I go through phases, which I have recently, where I eat lots of lentils. And I like them with onions, celery, carrots, a can of tomatoes, and sometimes throw in some bok choy. I add some curry paste to the olive or grapeseed oil to cook the onions and celery before adding to the lentils.

I look forward to your postings of poems...food for the soul, and now part of my daily routine. So thank you.

the other L

Lou said...

Delicious!

 
Site Meter