Friday, February 18, 2011

The Morning Reading: "The typical lightning bolt is one inch wide and five miles long."




from the February 14 & 21 edition of The New Yorker - it seemed so right for this week:

The Rhythms Pronounce Themselves Then Vanish
By Dean Young

After they told me the CT showed
there was nothing wrong with my stomach
but my heart was failing, I plunked
one of those weird two-dollar tea balls
I bought in Chinatown and it bobbed
and bloomed like a sea monster and tasted
like feet and I had at this huge
chocolate bar I got a Trader Joe's
and didn't answer the door even though
I could see it was UPS with the horse
medication and I thought of that picture
Patti took of me in an oval frame. Sweat
itself is odorless, composed of water,
sodium chloride, potassium salts,
and lactic acid; it's the bacteria growing
on dead skin that provides the stench.
The average life span of a human taste bud
is seven to ten days. Nerve pulses
can travel up to a hundred and seventy miles per hour.
All information is useless.
The typical lightning bolt
is one inch wide and five miles long.

*

Dean Young still needs a heart.

To learn more about it and to contribute to his transplant fund, click here.

*

No comments:

 
Site Meter